Modern Foreign Languages
At Verwood First School we believe that the learning of a foreign language provides a valuable educational, social and cultural experience for our pupils. It helps them to develop communication skills including key skills of speaking and listening and extends their knowledge of how language works.
Learning another language gives children a new perspective on the world, encouraging them to understand their own cultures and those of others. The focus language in our school is French. Children in Ash and Willow base will regularly receive language lessons.
The aims of Primary Languages teaching at Verwood First School are to:
· Foster an interest in language learning by introducing children to other languages in a way that is enjoyable and accessible to all pupils.
· Stimulate and encourage children’s curiosity about language and creativity and experimenting with it.
· Support oracy and literacy and in particular develop speaking and listening skills.
· Help children develop their awareness of cultural similarities and differences.
· Lay the foundations for future language study by pupils.
· Provide an added perspective on first language teaching and learning.
· Give an extra dimension to teaching and learning across the curriculum.
The children will learn French through speaking and listening, reading and writing, and by developing an intercultural understanding of the country.